I am ME. I LOVE my shape and I LOVE myself.
I am 43 years old and I’m beautiful. I am a daughter, sister, fiance, mother, step-mother, granddaughter, cousin and friend. I am SPECIAL.
I am guilty of putting others first before myself, I’m still trying to master being my own best friend!
I am experienced. I have lived, loved, travelled, cried, laughed and felt. I have made mistakes, I have made many good decisions and a few bad ones. I am human and I am ME.
I am resourceful and I will NOT accept second best. I push boundaries.
I am ALWAYS deserving of great things.
I am a healthy and happy 43 year old mother of my 11 year old son Izac, and “Bonus Mum” to my 13 year old son Jeremy and twin 24 year old step-children, Rhys & Nikki. I have a wonderful husband, Pete who is my rock.
I have struggled with my weight since my teens. The main struggle has always been that I never fitted into the “norm” of what a woman’s figure “should” be. You know that stigma where because my BMI does not match what it “should” I must be eating junk food every waking hour of the day and then some! Nothing could be further from the truth!! There are a 1000 reasons for people not fitting the “norm” body image. I am a size 20 – I exercise regularly and eat nutritious food. I dress well for my body shape, and make it my mission – for ME – to always present well and look after my image and my whole self.
After a particularly poor customer service experience in a fashion store some years ago, I decided that enough was enough – the “we don’t have anything for you” attitude needed to go!!!!!!!!! And I set my mind to challenging the stigma – plus-size women can be fashionable and do deserve the care and attention from retailers, service providers and designers alike!
Real Women Australia was born. 3 ½ years later I have achieved more than I could have imagined. During this time Real Women touched thousands of women’s lives. But it touched mine the most. It became my passion and I was unstoppable. I worked hour after hour, day after day, night after night responding to hundreds of enquiries weekly, building a network of women and Industry contacts and trying to add value to them all. My services included personal shopping & styling sessions, group shopping tours around Melbourne visiting stores that cater to curves, Wardrobe Revamps, Workshops and Events and so much more.
Some of my happiest memories of my time in Real Women Australia are:
- A customer who was encouraged to try on a dress that she stated would “never work on her” come out of a change room with it on, look up at herself in the mirror and exclaim “oh my goodness, it’s Me!!!!!!!!!!, It’s me”. I get goosebumps every time I think of it. She tells me to this day that it was a life changing experience for her
- Many “Personal Shop & Style” trips where the customer wasn’t expecting to find anything, who came home with bags and bags of great items
- Happy faces, huge hugs and watching someone stand much taller as they are feeling empowered
- The Nationwide Event in February 2011 where we Hugged The Curves of the Nation with simultaneous events kicked off in Melbourne, Sydney, Perth, Adelaide & Brisbane. Over 500 women nationwide attended this event and the buzz was incredible!
- Catwalk events with my Curvy Revolution models strutting their stuff down the catwalk and women in the crowd identifying with one or more of the realistic & identifiable ladies on the catwalk
- Being named as one of Melbourne’s Top 100 Most Influential People in 2010 by The Age (Melbourne) Magazine
- Working with businesses that want to appeal to the curvy customer and who are passionate about providing great garments and accessories
- Supporting our wonderful Australia plus-size designers who are doing great things
- So many happy memories and so much more…
It’s became clear that Real Women Australia had become too big for one person. With my family commitments and just the usual balancing act of life and work, it was impossible to continue at this macro level.
My biggest wish is to ensure that future generations do not feel how I have felt and are not restricted as I’ve been restricted in my lifetime.
I will strive to add value via education and resource, by sharing my personal story with you. You are telling me that you love to read my opinion, you love me pushing boundaries on topics that we are all passionate about, you love my style editorials, my reviews, and having a social media platform that forms a community.
So that’s what I’ll do, review, write, share and experience and I’ll do that with you via my new site with consistently updating content that keeps it fresh and real. You can still join in via social media, but now you have the added bonus of being able to comment on the blog section – that’s great too huh!
I’m so glad you can join me in my journey…
Love your shape!